User Rating: / 0
Although a transmission repair usually strikes terror in the minds of vehicle owners because of the assumed high cost, it doesn’t have to. There are several types of transmission service that do not require a costly replacement. And, some transmission problems will disappear after an engine tune-up.
Types of Transmission Service and Transmission Repair:
- Adjustments and in-car transmission repair: Some problems can be resolved with a minor repair. If a late-model engine is not shifting properly, it could be a computer sending incorrect signals due to a faulty sensor, or it is not reacting to a computer command because of a bad connection or defective solenoid pack. If a non-computer-controlled engine is not shifting properly, it may require an adjustment to the throttle cable. If the vehicle has a vacuum modulator instead of a throttle cable, there is an adjustment that can be made using an adjustment screw. These problems can be corrected while the transmission is in the car for considerably less money than a complete overhaul.
- Reseal job. A transmission is resealed in order to repair external fluid leaks. If a leak is spotted at any of the external seals or gaskets and the engine otherwise performs well, it can be resealed. Most of the external seals can be replaced while the transmission is still in the car, unless it’s the front seal. In this case, it must be removed to gain access, making it a much costlier transmission repair.
- Replace accessible parts. Many parts, such as the control and electrical, are accessible without requiring removal. They are serviceable by simply removing the oil pan.
- Complete transmission service overhaul. In a complete overhaul or rebuild, the transmission is removed from the vehicle and completely disassembled. Each part is inspected for wear and damage and then is either cleaned or replaced with another part depending on its condition.
- Replacement unit vs. overhaul existing unit. When an overhaul is required, you may generally have two options. The first option is to remove your existing unit, rebuild it, and then have it reinstalled in your car. The second option is to replace your existing unit with another unit that has already been rebuilt or remanufactured.
Need expert transmission repair? Contact the ASE-Certified Technicians at Gary’s Quality Automotive shop by calling(308) 381-2295 or go on-line at http://www.garysautoinc.com/for more information on transmission service. Our auto shop proudly serves vehicle owners in Grand Island, Wood River and Doniphan, NE.
We have 14 guests and no members online